A kitchen accident was determined to be the cause of a fire that ravaged a multi unit apartment building in Newport on Saturday. Newport Fire Officials said heavy fire was coming from the downstairs apartment building when they arrived at 21 Summer Street just after 6:30 pm. Newport immediately issued a second alarm to call in multiple mutual aid companies. Two residents were treated at the scene for minor injuries but no other injuries were reported.
Firefighters searched the second floor for pets reported left behind in an apartment. They were able to save two dogs and a cat, but several other animals perished.
High heat, fire conditions and modified construction hindered fire fighting operations but the blaze was deemed under control just before 10:30 pm. Newport firefighters returned to the scene on Sunday to check for hotspots and clean up. The Red Cross is assisting several families displaced from the fire. The fire was investigated by the Newport Police and Fire Departments before determining the fire was caused by a kitchen accident